The mission of the new FCS campus, the Canyon Country Discovery Center, is to facilitate the discovery and joy of lifelong learning for all ages and backgrounds about the natural and human history of the Colorado Plateau through hands-on experiences in science, culture, literacy, math, technology, and art.
The vision of the new FCS campus, the Canyon Country Discovery Center, is to provide formal and informal educational programs for schools, families, individuals, and inter-generational groups that illuminate the place of humans within the natural world of the Colorado Plateau. Using traveling outreach, museum based exhibits and observation experiences, field trips, workforce development, and in-depth scientific research, Canyon Country Discovery Center promotes discovery, inquiry, appreciation, and opportunities to learn about the interconnectedness of the natural systems and the human cultures that live within the Plateau.
Benefits of the Canyon Country Discovery Center Campus and DICE
- Four Corners School will significantly increase the reach of its programs.
- Four Corners School will add an array of new programs, especially in astronomy.
- Provide space for community meetings, events, and a wide range of conferences.
- Host after-school and evening lectures, programs and workshops.
- Showcase LEED certified construction elements, which may educate and inspire others to consider green building ideas
- Improve the educational experience of a significant amount of the 2,000,000 visitors to the area.
- Expand economic development opportunities for residents of Monticello and San Juan County.
- Enhance and improve knowledge of, and appreciation for, the Colorado Plateau.
“I think the Canyon Country Discovery Center has a great potential to assist people in understanding all of the facets of this region, to be a source for children to, as its name describes, discover.”
Peter Lawson - Rancher, Educator and Conservationist